Are you thinking about taking a pet? Well, obviously your first choices will be a dog or else a cat. And the most far you can reach is a hamster or mice. Can’t blame you people for it. Those are hands down the kings and queens of the pet world. The most recommended options before taking a pet. But why is it always necessary to go with the usual. Why not go for some really ‘out of the box’ option? And after all, a change is always welcomed. Instead i will like to add, a change is the only thing that is constant. So choose for something bizarre and unexpected. Like………………….. a Spider!
I know, I know, what will be your reactions to a spider as a pet. How can a spider be a pet! He’s so clumsy. He’s so creepy. And yes don’t forget scary. Like some inch of crawling creature can kill you! C’mon get over those over used phrases. But seriously, think about it. Why always share stories about your dog shaking hands with you? Or he is waiting for you after your work. Not only this, there is this whole lot of cleaning and grooming required and other such responsibilities that comes along with these animals.
Spiders on the other hand are very easy to pet. Less care and attention needed. On the top of it you even don’t have to necessarily buy a spider. It is easily available anywhere around your home. It is very easy to catch a spider. Just gently put a jar over it. This ultimately gives your wallet some rest. Now enough with the perks of having a spider. With novelty come exceptions. It means when you are around something new, it is very important to know about it before handling it. Some species of these spiders can bite and few among them can be poisonous. So first know about the hazards and then jump into it.
These are some steps one might like to follow before adopting a spider:
- HOW CAN YOU CATCH A SPIDER?
Spiders are all around you. You can find them indoor and even outdoor. You need not go to a pet store to buy one. Catching a spider is as simple as finding one. Just put a jar over one spider and gently close the lid. Remember not to keep two spiders in one jar. Spiders eat each other.
- IN WHAT DOES A SPIDER DWELLS IN ?
- Large spiders usually are kept in plastic terrariums. These are easily available in pet stores. Smaller pets can be kept in small jars with proper lids. If the lids are properly holed. Care must be taken that the holes are small enough, to prevent their escape. The soil used for making pots provides good bottom for the cage. Dead leaves, sticks, and artificial plants even gives place for climbing, hiding etc.
- WATER NEEDS: Depending on the size of the spider anything from a bowl or a small bottle cap can serve as a water dish. Not only this, but sprinkling some water on its web can also help. Just make sure you don’t make the place soggy.
- WHAT DOES IT EATS?
Well you can offer him insect prey, but not regularly. Once or a twice a week will do. Or you can time buy some crickets that are available in the pet store. You yourself can even catch some insects from outside and feed them with it. Just be cautious that there are no insecticides sprayed in the nearby vicinity.
- OBSERVING THE SPIDER: it is very important to keep an keen eye on your spider. Not because it is dangerous or can cause harm. Instead you’ll be amazed to see what happens in the spider’s web
All spiders are not that co operative. They can create a mess. Mostly active hunters are easy to keep than web builders. Here are some examples of few that can make good pets.
- TARANTULAS: the species can exceed 10 inches in leg span. Till date the most popular choice for spider pet.
- WOLF SPIDERS: this species can exceed more than 3 inches in leg span. Large specimens do best in plastic containers with lots of ground space.
- JUMPING SPIDER: these are smaller in size as compared to others. Almost half an inch. But their speciality lies in their jumping ability. Hence, the name. This species is available in lot of bright colours and is easily captivable in small jars.
- FISHING SPIDERS: while captivating such spiders, barks should be arranged vertically. This is most likely appreciated. These are comparatively larger in size than jumping spiders. They are very fast. So care must be taken while capturing them.
- GRASS SPIDERS: these spiders are famous for building funnel-shaped webs in grass, bushes and even on buildings. When in captivity, they tend to built widespread webs inside their cage.
So these were some options one should consider while thinking of petting a spider. So are ready to be a Spider – Pet – Man!