Basically, spaying and neutering is the surgical procedure which is performed by the veterinarians, make the dogs incapable of breeding by removing their reproductive organs. Spaying means removal of sexual organs of female dogs i.e ovaries, uterus and fallopian tubes while neutering means complete removal of testical in dogs.
BENEFITS OF SPAY (FEMALES )
1. No males will be attracted as dogs will no longer suffer from heat cycle.
2. She will have less desire to roam as compared to before spaying.
3. If you don’t want unwanted pets ( kittens / puppies ) in your house then you must do this procedure.
4. Reduces the risk of breast cancer.
5. It helps them to live longer, happier and healthier life.
6. They won’t go into heat.
BENEFITS OF NEUTERING ( MALES )
1. He will desire less roaming and therefore there will be less chances of fighting.
2. Reduces the risk of testical cancer.
3. It will also help in decreasing aggressive behaviour as some dogs who desires sex, they could hurt if they don’t satisfy their sexual desire.
4. It helps them to live longer, happier and healthier life.
You see now, spaying and neutering is important for pets. It will not only benefit you and your pet but also the community as there is already overpopulation of pets in this world. The whole world is affecting from the overpopulation of pets, millions of tax dollars spends to shelter and care for unwanted pets who don’t finds home for themselves, or you can say no family is ready to accept those unwanted pets. These problems could have have been prevented by spaying and neutering.
Dogs and cats who don’t have home or shelters, roam everywhere which can cause transmittable diseases or animal bites to others.
BEST TIME TO SPAY OR NEUTER PET :-
Usually, you should spay or neuter your pet around the age of eight weeks in their young age. In many shelters puppies/kittens faces this kind of surgical procedure so that they can be the prior option for adoption. In order to avoid chances of pregnancy in female dogs and starting of urine marking in male dogs then it is advisable to do the surgery before the age of six months. You must check your veterinarian for the best time of the surgical procedure for your pet.
BEFORE SURGERY :-
You need to keep the following points in mind before the surgical procedure :-
1. Pets over 4 months of age should do not eat the food at midnight the night before. Having a empty stomach will lessens the chances of vomit. Most veterinarians refuses to do the operation if they eat something before surgery.
2. Do not bathe him before surgery for atleast 48 hours.
3. If you have a dog then you should take it to the vet on a leash but if you have a cat, you can use carrier. Most pets feel frighten in new surroundings so if you take them on a leash or carrier then it can helps in minimizing stress and feels them safe.
SPAY / NEUTER AFTER – CARE :-
When your pet – kitten/ puppies, comes home after the surgery, you must care for him/her by keeping the following points in your mind :-
1. FEEDING :- It is not necessary to make changes in the diet after your pet has been spayed or neutered. You can feed them what you usually give. You should fed it in smaller amounts as he/she probably can have upset tummy after surgery, if they refused to eat something on the night of surgery then it is common, he can be normal on the next day. Usually, most dogs/vats that get spayed or neutered, are not off from their food more than one day so if he/she is refusing food constantly more than 24 hours then you should go to your veterinarian.
2. EXERCISE :- You should not let your pet to do heavy exercising like running or chasing around as their wounds takes time to heal, therefore these type of exercises should be minimised atleast for 2 weeks. You can take your dog for a walk and if you have a cat, you can give them some toys to play.
3. WOUND CARE :- There is nothing special you can do in this step, all you have to do is start monitoring the wound and ensure if it looks clean and healthy. Also do not let your pet to lick their wounds as it introduces mouth – bacteria to wounds, makes them wet and therefore unable to heal.
4. REST :- After surgical procedure, let your pet rest untill next morning. You should also check hourly, as vomiting might occur. you must let him sleep all he wants. After next day, you can take him out for light exercises.
5. SAFETY :- You should be careful from your spayed/neutered pet as even the nicest dog/cat can bite you. So of they seems angry, it is recommended to keep away from them.