Everyone likes to smell nice, feel fresh and stay clean. Your dogs are no different, they do not like to dwell in their stench or feel sloppy and unclean. Hence cleanliness should be the pet owner’s first priority, primarily because hygiene issues are directly proportionate to health issues, and secondly they live under the same roof as you, their problems will soon become your problems, be it health or sanitation.
A clean dog is a healthy dog and a healthy dog is a happy dog. Keeping your dog clean is not rocket science, it is simple and not that time consuming if done regularly and most of all it is a fun bonding exercise for the owner and the dog.
There are just a few simple instructions one must follow in order to keep your pet spotless and sparkling.
1) Giving your dog a bath:
Your dog does not necessarily need to bathe as often as you do. A dog can be given a bath strictly on a need basis or it can be given a bath on a regular basis. Factors that determine whether or not you want to give your dog a bath depends on, how much hair it has, if it undergoing any sort of skin problem, if it is smelly etc..
To give your dog a bath, follow these instructions:
a) The first step is to Gather the required bathing material
- Shampoo; preferably a dog friendly shampoo or an extremely mild shampoo.
- A tooth brush and toothpaste; A soft bristled toothbrush and a dog friendly toothpaste, never use any other toothpaste (Paste is not usually essential)
-A Towel; A dry towel
-Luke warm water; Cool water can be used depending on the climatic conditions.
-An area to bathe; preferably an open space but a bathroom or a bathtub would do just fine.
- Treats (or distractions); this is optional; this will help your dog to be less stressed and will decrease his irritability to the situation.
b) The second step is to lure your dog into the bathing area; this is where the treat or any dog toy will come handy.
c) Make sure your dog is wet completely; this can be done by using a mug or a tumbler to evenly pour the water,
d) Brush your dogs teeth gently by clasping his/her face in your hand.
e) Apply a decent quantity of Shampoo on the fur and lather.
f) Rinse off the shampoo thoroughly
g) Apply conditioner to make sure the fur does not become dry (Optional)
h) Use a towel or a blow drier to dry and keep him/her warm.
i) Give your dog a nice treat at the end of his/her bath, for cooperating and being a good dog.
2) Grooming your dog,
A) Brush your dog’s fur on a regular basis, this will superficially remove dirt, dust and it will make it look well groomed and neat.
B) To prevent your dog from smelling, you can apply a small quantity of baby powder, odour cream or baking powder all over the dogs body (Except the head area), this will absorb excess oils and produce a good smell.
C) Make sure you cut and clean your dog’s nails and paws. This is also beneficial for you so that your dog does not hurt you unnecessarily.
D) Clean your dogs’ ear with an ear bud or a small cotton ball, this should preferably be done after you give your dog a bath so as to remove any remaining water in that area.
3) Clean your dog’s bed on a regular basis. This includes washing the bed in warm water and drying.
4) Take your dog to a grooming parlour and the vet on a regular basis, to eliminate any form of skin problem at an earlier stage.
5) Give your dog a hair cut once in a while. The best time to give your dog a hair cut is after you bathe him/her. All you require is a pair of scissors, clippers and a hair brush or a comb. This will maintain the hair growth and increase the quality of hair.
6) Last but not the least; make sure your dog is active and not lethargic. Take your dog for regular walks and allow it to play as much as it is willing to. If it is dull and lazy, push it out of the house and devise incentives for it to run around and play. This will not only maintain its looks it will keep your dog very healthy.
A well groomed dog is a healthier and happier dog. If your dog looks well groomed, if will feel confident and proud, and it is very important for your dog to possess these qualities, it will make your dog more agile and active.
Cleanliness will increase good health; good health intern leads to a longer life span. Being a dog owner does not end your responsibility by just owning a dog, you should fulfil your responsibility by keeping your dog clean, healthy and happy. ‘Cleanliness is happiness’