There are so many kinds of people and for every kind there is a kind of dog. For exercise junkies types, home-sweet-home types, holiday-in-a-resort types, hikers, joggers, city lovers, forests-my-house p, Bear-Grylls types, pirates, there is a dog for everyone. Your dog will happily join you to wherever you go but for outdoor junkies it’s very important that their dogs keep up with them.
These hyperactive fellows are good to go outside and all but here is some good and bad of having an active dog.
- That they are always with you.
- That they go for jogging and hiking with you.
- That they are up to play with you.
- That they are always happy
You won’t like:
- That when they don’t get enough exercise they destroy things inside the house.
- That when they don’t get enough exercise they get fat and lazy.
- That they are always up to bark at things.
Now the dog breeds:
20. Lagoto Romagnolo: They are named as a lake dog but they are used as a gun dog. They are basically retrievers thus natural hunters. They make a good hunting pet though their personal favourite is truffle hunting.
19. Tibetan Terrier: These are small dogs with a bomb personality. These dogs were bred in monasteries 2000 years ago to make excellent companions in the inaccessible mountains. They were actually bred for herding sheep and bring things that have fallen below as this breed loves to climb. They were also kept as good luck charms and watchdogs. Tibetan terriers are lively and they do extremely well in snow.
18. Bernese Mountain Dogs: Bernese Mountain dogs are very easy to train and gladly walk by your sides if you don’t want to bother with a leash, in the cold mountains. They can even carry a pack for you. They were originally bred for drafting and herding.
17. Pembroke Welsh Corgi: Don’t let their short legs fool you. In spite of their short legs Corgis are very athletic and quick. “welsh” for dwarf dogs. They are little but they are no lap dog, they are fun loving and amiable. They are courageous little fellows bred for herding. They love to stay active.
16. Portuguese Water Dog: You are much of a kayaking type? Love to stay close to the water? Here is the best dog for you. Portuguese Water dogs excel in the surfs. They love the water. They were originally bred to herd fishes, retrieve broken nets and deliver couriers by water. They are also known for staying at their owner’s side. These courageous dogs are the ultimate water companion.
15. German Shorthaired Pointers: They were bred to trail, retrieve and point out. A very good companion to go hunting with. No matter what style you hunt in this dog can always keep up. They are known as versatile and intelligent dogs. Their idea of heaven is hunting on a field and sleeping by their owners.
14. Shetland Sheepdog: You might want to keep them off from the roads as their herding instinct may provoke them to herd the cars. They are one of the most intelligent breeds of dog though you don’t quite feel that in your stomach for the first sentence but believe me they are. It’s just their strong herding instinct. Shetland Sheepdogs are intelligent, playful. They love chasing and herding animals and run in open free spaces. So much for a small dog, eh? They may even lead you to a adventure to find them for their running off spirit.
13. Vizsla: They are best for city dweller/ adventure seekers. They are extremely trainable and lightweight. According to Runner’s World this breed excels at speed, endurance, navigation obstacles and even jumping. You don’t have to bother with a leash even in the crowded places. Yes. They are that trainable.
12. Dalmatian: A very sporty breed that can keep up with the horses which means they can easily keep up with you. They are very protective if you need a best friend like Sam Gamgee of Lords of The Rings. Originally used to clear roads for fire-fighters so normally they are not easily tired and very enthusiastic. They are built for efficiency and endurance.
11. Doberman Pinscher: They have a bad reputation because they are unfriendly. But they are very affectionate friend and guardian. They make an excellent companion for active people. They are always up for jogging and hiking. They need too low maintenance but still remain shiny clean. There masculine body is designed to combine elegance, endurance and power.
All of the above dogs are hiking enthusiasts but it will be very wrong to expect that they can run without getting tired. It is always very important to look after your dog. There are some who is a very watchful guardian but you should always remember they are like babies.
And there are 10 breeds more to come. So keep reading.