Bringing a new puppy can change your life, however we have to do plenty of work after getting one, but hey! They are so adorable, so its worth it. I am sure you will forget all your stress after spending even a little time with him.
After getting a new pup, the first question will come into your mind – How can I take care of him? Well you have come to the right place. I will tell you all about the pups.
BRINGING THE PUPPY AT HOME :-
1. PUPPY – PROOF HOME - Puppy proofing is the most important task before bringing your new friend to home. They are like babies so you have to protect it from everything that can harm him. They loves to explore new things and they will try to investigate things by chewing, scratching or tasting them. Keep all the chemicals or toxins away from them where they can’t reach. Also keep all the doors and windows closed. Keep your shoes away from them as some pups love to chew them. The most important thing you should do is never leave them alone without any supervision as they might hurt themselves.
2. BUY NECESSARY THINGS :- Try to buy all the things before bringing your new pup at home. The things you should buy are :-
♦ Two meta bowls, one for food and other for water.
♦ A comfy bed for him.
♦ Puppy food
♦ Puppy treats
♦ Basic grooming tools i.e bristle brush, nail clippers, dog shampoo, comb etc.
♦ Harness or a tag
3. MAKE HIM COMFORTABLE IN YOUR HOME - At first, your pup may feel frightened in your home as its a totally new environment for him so you have to make him comfortable. In the first few days, try to sleep with him as it will make him feel good and won’t be afraid from you. Also give love and affection as much as you can give. This will help in creating a unique bond beweem both of you.
A healthy and nutritious diet is very important in case of puppies. Do research before feeding him, you can ask from vet, they can give you the most appropriate diet – chart for puppies. While researching the food, make sure to check all the ingredients if it is meeting the requirements of your pup’s body.
1. BRUSH YOUR PUPPY DAILY :- Regularly brushing your pet keeps his skin and fur shiner. Your pup may get frightened by brush at first, but when they get used to it, it won’t be problem any longer. Make sure to use the correct type of brush, you can ask veterinary what type of brush you need, however it depends on size of your pup.
2. TRIM HIS NAILS :- You must start trimming his nails from an early age. You can learn the technique of correctly trimmimg nails from vet so that you can do it every week by yourself only, otherwise you can take him to vet also.
3. BATHE HIM ONCE IN THREE WEEKS :- You must bathe him once in three weeks in order to keep him clean and smell good. Bathing more than three times might dry out his skin.
Training pups is the most important thing to do as soon as you bring him to home. However it might takes a lot of time and energy and the most important – Patience.
1. OBEDIENCE TRAINING :- It is the traning in which your pup will learn some common commands like sit, stay, up, etc. The training session should be done 2-3 times a day and make sure your pup won’t get bored. Puppies are like babies and whatever you teach him , they will learn quickly.
At first, you may have to repeat commands but do not get impatient as this will take time. Also don’t give any punishment as they might feel afraid of you and he may never follow your commands however you can give rewards everytime he follows your commands correctly.
If he don’t respond correctly then don’t get frustrated, you can take a break of 15 – 20 minutes and then re – start the training.
2. HOUSE – BREAKING TRAINING :- You should start this training as soon as you bring him at the home. The more you delay, the more messier it will be and with time, it will be difficult to train him. Let him know where he is supposed to do potty. After he eat the food, 10 – 20 minutes later, you can take him to that spot and wait untill he do his work.
3. CRATE TRAINING - Some people thinks crate training as crucial but actually it can be very helpful for him. He will have his own place to relax and rest. However you have to buy the correct size of the crates where he can relax fully without any problem. Initially you may have to force him to live in it but once he gets used to it, he will love it.