Who doesn’t want to go to the past era of the dragon age, where all the mysteries, all the questions that pop up in our mind about the past life would get an answer. A place where the researchers will finally get to know the actual things that happened during that era, and could then stop assuming things. They would finally get to witness all the things, fossils of which are found buried deep down in the Earth nowadays. They would be able to see and live with dinosaurs, but in this course of finding dinosaurs and preserving dinosaur eggs, an animal belonging to its family lost its value.
Its true that various animals resemble the early era dinosaurs, and are directly or indirectly related to them, but we are to involved in finding the remains of those old dinosaurs that we don’t pay proper attention to what we have in our hands. One similar animal is the Bearded Dragon. Bearded Dragons are the species of reptile, having an outlook resembling to that of a dragon. They have a small beard on their throat, and hence are named so. This beard change colours depending on their mood. Besides this all, they make great pets. Though they seem a little scary, but it is said not to judge a book by its cover.
- When buying a dragon, you need to keep in mind that its size is not smaller than 10 inches, as a smaller dragons often are baby dragons, which are much difficult to take care of. They are delicate and need the company of their parents, without which, they easily fall ill. Also, the adult dragon that you will be buying must be active, which can be checked if it raise its head when you approach it. The dragon would stare you with its glittering eyes with his head coming up.
- A special quality of these dragon pets to our benefit is that they don’t occupy much space. All you need is an enclosed glass box, having a good lighting. Remember that the lighting should be proper, and it should be reptile proof, which can be easily done after consulting your pet store. They can even provide you with the enclosure and everything, that is already built and furnished. If you are doing it by yourself, then you also will have to provide a proper flooring, and heat emitting source.
- It is a common misconception that the earlier dragons and present dragons too are carnivores. As a matter of fact, they belong to the omnivores class, that is they can live on meat as well as plants. Various kind of leafy vegetables can be given to them as their feed, including mustard greens, turnip greens etc. while spinach and other vitamin rich supplements should be avoided as it is not easily digested by these dragons. Carrots and other such veggies, that are rich in Vitamin A, must just be given to them on their birthdays or so, otherwise these Vitamin A rich food items can make them fall sick, and even deprive them of their present life. Although dragons, these animals are reptiles at the end of the day. So, in terms of diet, they need to be fed with insects or grasshoppers etc, especially the dragons in the growing age.
- Dragons also need a continuous supply of fresh water. Try changing water after every few hours in their bowl, that they use to drink. Also, keep these dragons hydrated by giving them a bath every now and then. Don’t delay the bath for more than a week, or they would start getting some problems. Moist environment is of utmost importance for these reptiles.
- Dragons shed their skin after a fixed duration, during which, they stop eating or extremely minimise their diet. So, if your dragon is feeding on a lesser amount for a few days, don’t be afraid, as it might be its shedding time, but if the problem f dragon not eating sustains for a couple days or more, take the pet to the vet, and get a full checkup.
- Cleanliness is also of great importance, not only of pet, but also of the owner. So, always wash your hands after touching or playing with your pet. Keep yourself as well as the pet in a healthy environment, as they are prone to diseases.
Some people don’t find these dragons to be adorable creatures, but everyone has a different choice. We can’t force anyone to like someone. But if we conclude whether dragons are ideal or not as a pet, then we would note that dragons don’t ask for much care. They adjust well, don’t overgrow, can feed on a variety of food, and above all, are social. It fulfills the quote that “Every thing that shines is not Gold”, as it looks dangerous to look at, but is a contrary pet. It is a pet in many of the households around the world, but the largest population is in Australia, as this reptile is a native of this Continent Island. So, it can be said that these dragons are ideal for domestication purposes.