It is very commonly seen that there are handful amount of people who really encourage when we are about to start something new. Instead we will always find people who will make you doubt your decisions. Force you to rethink on them. Well, at times that helps, but majorly it comes as a setback. Same is the case with people who are about to buy new pets. They are surrounded by folks who have this whole range of stupid stories and myths about pets or in general animals, that it confuses the buyer. It puts him in dilemma.
But are these stories true? Can really a black cat crossing your path ruin your day! Sometimes it’s hard to separate fact from fiction, especially with the many rumours that involve animals. Their behaviour can certainly be mysterious to say the least, so it is no wonder that some of these creatures have become the focal point of speculation. Some of these are –
- CATS STEALS A BABY’S BREATH: this is a very old superstition, nearly as long as 1700’s. At this time the babies were dying of certain infant death syndrome. Due to medical shortcomings at that time, the real reasons behind these sudden deaths were not known. Hence, people at that time took no time in blaming all this on the little cat lying in the crib beside the baby. She must have been there just for a small catnap! Today, soft toys, illness, a stomach-lying position have all been linked to SIDS – but not cats.
- DOGS SEE IN BLACK AND WHITE: according to many canine researchers dogs can see many colours like blue, violet and many more that even humans cannot see. They can even see a thing is less or hardly any light and are good at listening skills. This trait of theirs even makes them good hunters. They probably do not see red, orange, yellow, or green, based on examination of the colour-sensitive cone canine retinas.
- CATS WILL LAND ON THEIR FEET: cats are expert at landing on feet first only at short distances due to their highly flexible backbone. But surprisingly they can even sometimes land on their heads. And beyond one or two stories, their feet cannot ‘break’ the fall. Their heads and bodies collide with the ground, causing severe injuries. When they focus on a bird at a high window, that they lose their balance and fall – called high-rise syndrome.
- TAIL WAGGING, HAPPY DOG: it is usually believed that when a dog is wagging a tail, he is happy. Well, it is not totally wrong. But wagging of a dog is not just because he is happy. It is one of the reasons. When it is unusually high and stiff, the dog is agitated and ready to protect his turf. When the tail is lying low and wags faster, it shows a scared and afraid dog.
- TOUCHING A TOAD WILL GIVE YOU WARTS: frogs and toads have these outgrowths on their bodies called as bumps. These bumps resembles like warts which gave rise to the myth of those being contagious. Human warts are actually caused by a human virus, not frogs or toads. Toad’s skin does contain certain toxins that can be dangerous, only if not handled them properly. You must always wash your hand properly after handling them.
- BATS ARE BLIND: as the other stupid superstitions this too is untrue. Bats are not blind at all. Yes, they do have a poor vision but can see very well. Instead they even have excellent night vision. They even have good smell and hearing senses that helps them find their preys.
- PIGS ARE DIRTY:it usually believed that pigs are very dirty and unhygienic animals. Well though it looks like that, it is not correct. Pigs unlike other animals don’t perspire. So they do not have a way of cooling off.The mud holes or dirt that pigs roll in are an excellent way of cooling oneself. Hence what pigs do is not by choice but as a health condition. Everyone has to adapt to their atmosphere to survive. So does the pigs.
- WARM NOSE, SICK DOG: it is usually a condition in humans that if we have fever our body gets hot and even our head. This may have been a reason for such a rumour that if a dogs nose is warm and hot he must be sick. It is not so. A dog’s nose can be hot even because of just lying in sun. This can be cooled by dipping into water.
- GOLDFISH HAVE 3 SECONDS MEMORIES: this is actually very away from truth as goldfish have been verified to have a remembrance span of up to three months. Studies on their brainpower have also revealed that they can make a distinction between different shapes, colours and sounds. They can also distinguish between different times of day. Other studies suggest that, like us, fish also have their own personalities
So these were some of the famous myths heard and believed since a long time about animals. Though explained why not true, there are still people out being firm about them. So instead of listening to all these rumours or blind faiths it is any time better to consult an expert or a vet to know the truth.