Animals are strange creatures. They do not fail to astonish you every day. If you talk to a zoo caretaker they might tell certain amazing things that you won’t even believe. The more you observe them carefully, the more you are amazed. They reveal their character one by one. But the circumstances under which they behave accordingly may differ. There have been a lot of rumours, myths and superstitions about animals. These false faiths acts as a road block to certain realities about animals. But we get so used to calling them as rumours that the truth in the instance is over looked.
Here are some truly mesmerizing facts about your pets. These will definitely shock you. And even coincidently you may have experienced them yourself.
- DOGS – did you know, your dog has about more than 100 facial expressions? But not all of them are really on face. Maximum of them are made by ears.
Even dogs don’t sweat a lot. And if they its only at legs! Strange right!
The variety of dog breeds is something around 350 worldwide.
The famous Dalmatians, known for their spots are actually born spotless! They develop their spots with age.
There are beliefs that consider dogs as a colour blind animal. But it is not so. There are certain colours that he cannot see. They can very well see the shades of blue, yellow, green and gray.
Dogs have very keen ears. Researches have shown that they can locate the source of sound in 6/100ths of second.
And most important fact is, dogs are the very first animal domesticated by animals. They have been domesticated since 10,000 years.
- CATS – did you know, cat has more vocal sounds than dog? Over one hundred of them while dog only 10.
A cat is capable of jumping about a height seven times its height.
A cat big in age can run 12 miles per hour. It can even sprint at nearly 30 miles per hour.
The tongue of a cat is scratchy because it is lined with papillae – small elevated hooks that comes handy while catching a prey for them,
Cats are highly flexible animals. Their body contains more than 230 bones and the bones near their shoulders and spine are loosely attached.
A cat can remember things for more time than a dog. A dog can remember a particular thing for not more than 5 minutes. A cat can hold the same memory for more than 16 hrs.
- RATS – did you know, rats are highly sensitive to electromagnetic fields? So always remember to keep your pet rat in your home at a place where there is less electric conduction.
Unlike dogs, rats don’t really appreciate rubbing their tummies. It is only after he is familiar to you that you are allowed to do so.
A rat has a tendency to sense your moods. So it is advisable to interact with him only when in good mood. Because it quickly understands the mood and may react accordingly.
- BIRDS – did you know that a bird is always hungry? Well, it’s not a habit but a need somehow. A bird is expected to eat at least half of its own weight, in order to survive.
The bird’s heart can beat up to 400 times per minute.
Big parrots like the Cockatoos and Macaws can survive for more than 75 years.
- A BUTTERFLY has two compound eyes, which consists of thousands of lenses. Yet it is able to see only the colours red, green and yellow.
- A GARTER SNAKE gives 85 babies at a time.
- FERRETS are currently the third most popular pet in US.
- A GOLDFISH can survive up to 40 years.
- FISH – did you know, that there are above 25,000 identified species of fish on the earth.
Fishes were discovered even before dinosaurs.
40% of fishes can survive only in fresh water. Yet there is only 0.1% of fresh water on earth.
Fish like a shark can’t float as they do not have an air bladder. They are expected to continuously swim or rest at the bottom.
Some fish can make sound by jarring their teethes while some with the air filled in their bladder.
Some of the species are capable to fly, skip along the surface and even climb the rock.
Fishes have a special organ called as lateral line which helps them differentiate between dark and murky water.
Tropical fish are one of the popular choice as pets.
The biggest fish is the Great Whale, while the smallest is the Philippine goby.
Fishes can feel stress and pain just as other animals.
- The gender of a TURTLE can be made out by the kind of sound they make. Male turtles grunt while females hiss.
So these were some surprising facts about animals that cannot fail to mesmerise you. So just be awake and keep your all senses open, you never know when life decides to give a surprise.