While a lot of us can’t help giving in to the innocent puppy eyes and the playful protests, it is very important to know what kinds of food may be dangerous to the health of our little buddy canines! Most of the things in the list might be shocking because for so long we have been assuming that dogs love them so probably it is good to have them but such an eye opener this one is. My friend’s Lhasa Apso for instance, who was generally a really fit and active dog died at the age of five and a half because of excessive consumption of chocolate! So just give five minutes of your valuable time to go through this brief list and enlighten yourself for the sake of your valuable pet!
Be it cooked or raw, onions and garlic can lead to Anemia in dogs since they contain sulfoxides and disulphides that are capable of destroying the red blood cells in them. However garlic is less toxic than onions ( this bit of information is only provided because in some Indian households garlic is a mandatory ingredient in cooking although it is acceptable to put them in your dog’s diet only in very small quantities)
Symptoms – dullness, vomiting, loss of appetite, weakness and breathlessness.
#2 Chocolate & products with caffeine
Chocolates contain Caffeine, Theobromine, that belong to a group of chemicals called methylxanthines which cause toxicosis leading to the following signs of poisoning; vomiting, diarrhea, increased thirst, abdominal discomfort, muscle tremors, irregular heart rhythm, high temperatures, seizures and finally death. This kind of poisoning is very fatal because it comes without a warning. You keep feeding yummy chocolates to your little dog because you see how much it enjoys that stuff but you have no idea what it is doing to it inside and when the signs of poisoning come you are left with little or no time to fix things up. Caffeine can be found in cocoa, chocolate (the darker, the dangerous), colas, stimulant energy drinks.
#3 grapes, raisins, currant
This is a mysterious one. It hasn’t been efficiently proven, what is it that these ingredients contain, which poison a god’s system. This unknown toxin damages the kidneys. Even small amounts can sometimes make dogs really ill, repeated vomiting is one of the earliest signs and there is inactive lethargic behavior reported withing a day of ingestion. Though there is no scientific proof, the kidney failure results are derivative to the consumption of raisins or grapes and hence its better to be careful until accurate reasoning is established.
I know few people who drain down alcoholic beverages down their pet’s throat while they celebrate some occasion. It is a completely reckless and inhuman act to do so because alcohol causes the same kind of intoxication to dogs as it does to humans, only, it is way more faster in dogs than humans. Even really small amounts can create a hell of a damage inside a dog’s system. It can lead to vomiting, diarrhea, difficulty in coordination, dizziness, central nervous system depression, problems with breathing, coma and even death. Remember what a pain the last hangover was? Multiply it by a hundred and imagine how it would be to your dog!
#5 Milk & dairy products
Surprising one isn’t it! The speed at which dogs hog on dairy products, tempts us into believing that it must work wonders for their system. While some dogs are perfectly fine with dairy consumption, adult dog find it difficult to digest which leads to profuse vomiting and diarrhea. Sometimes dogs show signs of being uncomfortable. My mom sometimes gives my dog milk and rice when we run out of pedigree, my dog never has more than two meals containing dairy ever, that is his limit. It causes a sort of nauseous feeling in them so they would help you out themselves in making you realize that it isn’t right for them at the moment. Dairy is healthy of course, but excessive amounts lead to digestive disorders which need to be attended to.
#6 candy, gum and sugary stuff
Sweet things like candy, gum, cakes and so on, have a sweetener called xylitol added to them to enhance the taste of these food items. In humans, sweet things causes dental problems, obesity and calorie imbalance, but it dogs it does much more. Xylitol, in dogs leads to rapid, severe drop in blood sugar levels. Sometimes, effects come into view just within thirty minutes of xylitol ingestion. Excessive consumption leads to vomiting, weakness, collapse and even fatal liver failures.
#7 yeast dough
It is understood that dough rises before it is completely baked. This is what happens inside a dog’s tummy if consumed raw. It expands and produces gases in the digestive system, expansion of the stomach wall along with the yeast result in decreased blood flow to the stomach wall and death of tissue. Expanded stomach may press on the diaphragm causing breathing problems and yeast multiplication leads to production of absorb-able alcohol which in turn leads to alcohol intoxication. Dogs suffer severe pain in the abdomen and show signs like disorientation, stupor and vomiting, and in extreme cases lead to seizures, coma and death because of the alcohol.
#8 cat food
What is good for your Cat may not necessarily be good for your dog. Cat food is generally too high in protein and fats. Dogs already have lean meats to provide adequate protein and fats included in a regular healthy diet and cat food is a high imbalance.
#9 fat trimmings and bones
While fat trimmings can cause pancreatitis ( inflammation in the pancreas) bones may seem a very natural option to be tossed away to your dog from the table leftovers. As long as your dog isn’t a glutton, who hogs away at speeds that would put F1 racers to shame, it is safe to give them bones to chew, otherwise there are chances that dogs may choke on it. Sometimes it also cause splinters and lacerations in the digestive system.
#10 raw eggs & meat
My dog enjoys raw eggs, but there are certain drawbacks with raw eggs and meat. They have bacteria like salmonella and E.Coli that can cause food poisoning. There is also a certain enzyme called avidin in eggs which decreases the absorption of a B vitamin called biotin. This can lead to skin and hair coat problems like itching and excessive off season shedding.
Certain kinds like salmon, trout, sturgeon and shad contain a parasite that could cause the fish disease or salmon poisoning. Thorough cooking of the fish can help destroy the parasite and make it safe for consumption. Either raw, canned or cooked, in excessive amounts, fish can lead to a B vitamin, thiamine’s deficiency, leading to vomiting, loss of appetite, seizures and in severe cases, death.
Excessive salt ingestion can lead to electrolyte imbalance, which results in excessive thirst and urination, in turn leading to sodium ion poisoning. Even the coat starts shedding.
symptoms – vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, elevated body temperatures, depression and seizures
#13 your medicines
Keep medicine out of reach of your dogs. Without authorized prescription it is unsafe to let dogs have the same kinds of medicine you have since it will be stronger for your dog. It is reported as the most common reason for death in dogs
what your dog can eat
Ask your vet for a prescribed diet. Lean meats are perfect as long as they are well cooked and the fatty layers are removed. Fruits like apple, oranges, bananas and so on are tasty treat, though keep in mind to remove seeds and stems that can cause serious problems. Cooked white rice and pasta are preferred by dogs so let them have it with the cooked meats.
In addition to the items mentioned above, keep in mind to keep your dogs away from stuff which are harmful for you as well because they cause ten times more harm in them than you. Always take your dog to the veterinarian for regular check ups and vaccinations. Give your dog completely cooked food. Usually dogs can ignore discomfort so if you see even the most minute signs of illness in them, have it reported to a vet because if you can see it, then it is serious.