Obesity is an extremely common problem in humans as well as in pets which can lead to many hazardous diseases like liver problem, diabetes etc. An active cat will run, play, climb whereas an over – weight cats will feel lazy and sluggish so he is forced to redt only. Remember, cats are wild creatures and therefore, because of their instinctive behaviour they are so active but when they become over – weight, they are forced to sit and they simply cannot join their most basic instinctive behaviour. If your cat is suffering from obese then it is not his fault but yours, as they do not feed themselves, it is entirely your responsibility.
Obesity is mostly seen in older cats or less active cats. The causes of obesity in cats are :-
1. EXCESSIVE FOOD TAKING - It is the primary source of cause of obesity in cats as obese is caused by storing excess amount if fats. A cat should be fed 3 – 4 meals of small amount per day ideally but if you give them more than this amount then it might be a problem. If you want a healthy cat then it is suggested than don’t feed him more than the ideal amount of food, no matter how much your cat demands for the food.
2. RIGHT TYPE OF FOOD - Obesity is caused by just not only intaking the volume of food but also the right type of food. Check ingredients of the food before feeding him. High – carbohydrate foods can be the trigger to obesity in them, so feed them high – rich proteins intake instead of caebohydrates.
3. INSUFFICIENT EXERCISE - Proper exercise helps in keeping the muscles strong and maintaining a ideal weight in your cats. You can place his favourite toys on some high places where he has to jump. During feeding, you can also move the bowl back and there which will force your cat to jump on it.
4. MEDICAL CONDITIONS - Your cat might have disease, hypothyroidism, which can be the reason of overweight. In this case, you must take your cat for a checkup to the veterinarian. Afterwards, the appropriate treatment will be provided.
HEALTH PROBLEMS DUE TO OBESITY :-
Cats can face many health problems by being over – weight just like humans do. The health risks in the cats due to obese, are very serious and every cat – owners must aware of them so that they can do the treatment of their cats before its too late. The most common consequences of obesity in cats are given below :-
2. Liver disease
3. Skin problems
4. Shortend lifespan
5. Heart problems
6. joint pain
7. Increased risks of anaesthesia and surgery
Many cat – owners couldn’t identify whether his cat is over – weight , normal weight or under – weight, here are some signs from which you can easily identify whether cat is over – weight :-
1. Monitor your cat if he is having difficulty in walking, running, or grooming
2. Obese cats demands for food more than usual i.e excessive apetite.
3. The ribs of over – weight cats will hard to feel.
4. He is inactive from few days and he sleeps more, eats more.
5. Check the weight of your cat if it is ideal or not. You can check out various weight charts available on the internet.
It is suggested that if your cat is obese then you should go to vet as they are specialists and will perform a physical examination the feline. They may also check blood tests if the cause of obese is medical conditions such as hypothyroidism.
Weight loss requires the proper supervision of the veterinary and the treatment should be done as soon as possible in order to prevent from various heath risks which can be life – threatening.
1. INCREASED EXERCISE – There are many toys available in the market which can be the great help in exercising of your cat. Increasing physical activity helps in maintaining the health and weight. As they are predators so you can play with them by let them using their hunter skills. If you don’t have much time to spend then you can also bring other cat for him with whom he can play, chase run. Regular exercise will increase the metabolic rate, decreases apetite and will burn more exercise.
2. CORRECT DIET – Overweight pets eats more than the requirements of the body. Ask your veterinarian about the correct amount and nutrition food. Feed your cat low carbohydrates and high riched protein foods. Also feed him in small amounts 2-3 times a day.
3. STOP FEEDING TREATS – Stop feeding your cats treats as they contains sugar and can lead to obesity.
Cats are great companion for human beings and they help you in a lot of ways like fighting loneliness so now it is your time to help him if he is suffering from any illness like obesity by just following the simple steps mentioned above.