Hey you! Yes you, so you have adopted a new dog? Or maybe, you have already a cute canine friend but you are here because you want some more tips so that taking out your dog would be more fun. No doubt, having a dog is a big responsibility and you can’t escape from it. When you own a dog, one of the most important responsibility is taking your dog outside for a walk. You have to take some time out from your busy schedule, otherwise you do not deserve of having a dog. Read the following points which will make the walking with your dog, more fun :-
1. GET A DOG LEASH AND COLLAR :- You can buy them at your nearest pet shop or you can even order them online. However buying them from shops would be easier because at shop, you can check the material and test the fit, check if the collar fits around the neck of your dog or not, you should be able to slip two or three fingers between the neck of dog and collar. If you are able to slip more than two fingers then you may loose the control of the dog while walking.
2. WALK IN FRONT OF YOUR DOG :-
Walking in front of your dog will make your dog to understand that YOU are the pack leader, if your dog controls you while walking, he will think that he is the pack leader. Walk your dog but do not let your dog to walk you. If he will think that he is the leader then it may raise many behavioral issues. When dog walks in front of you then he doesn’t feel relaxed as he thinks he has the massive responsibility of leading the pack.
3. GIVE YOURSELF ENOUGH TIME FOR DOG – WALK :- This is one of the most important thing that you should keep in mind. No matter how much you are busy, take some time for your dog and take him outside for a walk. This will not only improve your dog’s health but also yours and also this will create an unique bond between you and your dog. If you do not have much time for your dog then you do not deserve to own any pet. You can take him out in the park in morning for thirty minutes or thirty minutes in the evening, choosing time is totally upto you.
4. RRWARD YOUR DOG DURING THE WALK :- While walking your dog, if you think your dog is relaxed with a proper state of mind then you can reward him by allowing him to sniff around and relieve himself. Only you will have to decide when you wants to over the reward time however make sure the reward time is lesser than the walking time.
5. REWARD YOUR DOG AFTER THE WALK :- Your dog may feel a little tired after the walk so you can reward him by providing a meal after the walk, by this, you are allowing your dog to “work” for water and food.
6. IF THE WEATHER IS COLD :-
Sometimes people feel lazy for dog walk in the cold weather but you should go for the sake of your dog. Just put on a sweater on your canine friend. However if dog has a longer fur then he do not even need any sweater but some dogs needs extra protection like tea cup breeds and chihuahuas.
7. SOCIALIZATION :- Socialize your dog to new people and dogs. While socializing, if your dog starts growling or barking towards other dogs then take charge immediately and walk away with your dog before anything bad happens.
8. BE CALM :- Your posture and attitude have quite a big impact on the type of walk you are going to have. If you show hurry in walking or pull your dog’s leash by frustration then it will have a negative impact. If you will be relaxed and keep calm attitude then your dog will also do the same. Use a calm voice, loose the grip on the leash and also keep your posture confident with your head facing forward.
9. BE POSITIVE :- If your dog shows aggression towards strange people then you might face some difficulties while taking him outside for a walk as he will definetly see strange people or animals then, all you have to do is to be positive. If he shows reactive behaviour then you should avoid shouting, smacking, shaking or any form of physical punishment as it can make him more violent. In this case, clicker training will be perfect as it will reward him for non – reactive behaviour and being calm.
10. HAVE FUN :- Walking dog is the most important thing , it will also helps in creating an unbreakable bond between you and your dog by spending some quality time with each other. Try to find more ways to make walking dog more enjoyable, whatever it takes, make sure each walk is positive and rewarding experience for your dogs and obviously you!