Dog owners have many responsiblities which also includes training your dog which is the most important. Well trained dogs are easy to care for and prove to be a great companion whereas un-trained dogs are always messy.
It is very important to start training your new puppy as soon as you bring him to your home. Puppies are easy to train because they offer million of things to correct, as they have no sense of correct behaviour just like a child who has no sense of behaviour but parents makes him to learn everything.
There are two kinds of training which can be practiced :-
1. BEHAVIORAL TRAINING - This helps to prevent bad habits your dog may developed or already has developed like chasing after cars, misbehave around other people, unnecessarily barking, house breaking etc. This training may includes basic commands but the main aim is to make dogs learn some basic manner. This is the initial step of training which also helps to make bond with him.
2. OBEDIENCE TRAINING - This training is done in order to make dogs obedient to their owners through the simple commands like sit, stay, stand up etc. Ten to fifteen minutes a day of the training session are enough for the dogs to train easily.
When you give commands to him, make sure you say it loud and clearly and always say his name before giving commands so it will be easy for them to understand. Do not get impatient if he don’t react to commands because it takes a lot of time and patience!
TRAINING TOOLS -
You can start the training process with the tools as it will be much easier in training, so you much have the tools in order to teach some basic manners to your dog. Some of the most important tools are give below :-
1. DOG TREATS - This is one of the most popular method of training. Keep something with you which your dog likes as they will smell that from a long distant and will do anything whatever you say. First attract your dog to treat and then by smelling, he’ll definetly hear your commands. Remember, the treat should be tasty for the dog and at the same time it should be healthy for him.
2. DOG CRATES - It is one of the quickest method of training, but the crates should be ideal size for the dog and there should be enough place for him to stand, sleep and eat comfortably. It is like a personal bedroom for him in which he can fo anything. It will help in potty training and house- breaking.
3. CLICKER TRAINING- In this method of training, a clicker which makes a small noise after pressing thr button, which intended to tell your dog that you’ve done something correctly. After clicking this distinctive sound which indicated dog that he has done something right, he can give rewards to dog.
4. DOG COLLAR - It,too helps in training of your dog . If your dog is hard to carry on walk, you can use it to keep him under control.
5. CHEW TOYS - Dogs chew a lot to avoid boredom so you should buy him some chew toys from the pet supply store, some dogs chew on furnitures or shoes. You can avoid this destruction by providing him chew toys, at the same time, make sure that toys are not harmful for the dogs.
1. Make a friendly environment before starting training otherwise they’d get scared and unable to react on the commands.
2. Make sure to give rewards if they do their training correctly, otherwise they’d loose their interest. If they jump towards you for their rewards, don’t give it instantly, make him wait till they get patience.
3. You should have patience when you are training your dog as it takes a lot of time, depends on the breeds of dogs as some can be trained easily and some are not.
4. If you don’t have much time, you can hire a professional trainer too, but your dog will hear your commands more clearly than any other trainer.
5. Make him do exercise only 20-30 minutes per day, rest depends on the capability of your dog.
6. Never leave any child with the dog under training even a familiar pet because they can harm if they feels scared.
7. Always do reward based training, it may be in the form of dog treats or verbal praising as it will motivate your dog to do training better everytime!
8. Teach one command at a time and move on to next command only when he caught on well to the previous command.
9. If your dog is not feeling well, you can post pone the training some other time, don’t force him to do the exercise.
10. Buy only high protein riched foods from the pet store for your dog. It will keep him to stay healthy and therefore he will be more active in training or exercise.