” My dog is in charge” this is the most problem that most of the dog owners are suffering from. He decides when to play and for how much time, when you go for walk and where, he even interrupts when talk on phone and charges into the whole environment ahead of you. Now, guess who is it? What? no no, he is not from your family member or co – worker, Well he is your dog, When you invite a new dog in your home then teach him that you’re the leader, otherwise he will take this responsibility.
WHAT IS PACK BEHAVIOUR?
before going further, you need to know the answer of this question. Dogs love their families just like humans, but these families are known as packs for dogs. Dogs needs to fit into a pack which is inherent in them. They want to know the safety of place and what to expect from it. And most of the dogs do not want to be an alpha, they want someone else to take this responsibility by giving others orders and make the decisions. If you let your dog to be an alpha then you are at his mercy and he might be a benevolent king as a leader. When you bring your dog in your home then you are his family, ”pack”. Many dogs fit easily in their families and they do whatever they are told by the leader of ”pack” whereas other dogs do not fit in easily as some of them are born natural leaders and will always challenge their human alpha. Alpha dogs seems to be a really good pet as they are confident, smarter, and loving but if someone makes him to do which he does not want to do then this lovable dog will growl, and can even hurt someone and no one will find the answer of ”why”? In a real dog pack, No one questions the alpha dog and no one gives him orders as the pack’s members respects him but in the human family, this kind of behavior is dangerous and unacceptable.
SIGNS THAT YOUR DOG IS TRYING OUT FOR THE JOB OF BOSS
- Jumping up on you.
- Grabs food from your hand.
- Barks at you.
- steals food from the table.
- jumping up on the couch.
- Pushes you down.
- Bites your clothes.
- Growls when eating.
If your dog is doing the things which are mentioned above then its time for you to become the leader.
HOW TO BE THE LEADER?
Becoming the leader or boss of your dog does not mean you’ll be bossy or pushy. It means that you’ll make rules and your dog has to follow them. Here some tips from which your dog will understand who is the leader that is YOU :-
1. Always praise your dog as if you own it :- Firmly put your hands on your dog, hug him, and then pat him so that the hand of yours get warm from contact. Don’t praise him in a bashful way.
2. Give punishment fairly and quickly then forgive :- Do not hold antipathy, when you put hands on dog, do it with authority and confidence. Hands on doesn’t mean hitting but it might mean a leash correction, assist into sit or down, a collar shake. Just do it fast with authority. Now, when you have made your dog to do exactly what you want then give him a hug, yes, that is alpha.
3. Be benevolent, but tough :- If you want the leader of your pack then you must act like a top dog. You should be tough but at the same time loving also. You should always be fair and never get angry. Dogs can easily understand what is wrong and what’s not.
4. Give permission :- You can give him permission as long as you are ok with it. But it doesn’t mean that you say ok if you see him stealing a plate of cookies. This means that you say ok if he is about to get a car ride with you, eat food from his bowl, go out with you for walk. It means that you will teach your dog to look at you for your permission and approval of making decisions on his own. You should remember that if dog will behave better then he can have more fun and freedom.
5. Deny permission :- Monitor the behaviour of your dog. Teach him manners and even if you do like him to walk on the couch or coffee table, he should not behave like this in other homes of people. When you take him out to lake then he should definitely wait for your permission if he wants to swim.
6 Be a model to your dog :- Remember that the alpha of the pack behaves with surety, dignity, authority, confidence and intelligence. This will help your canine friend to be tranquil.