Understanding dog’s behaviour is one of the most important thing if you are the owner. It will help you to understand the dog behaviour from their point of view by learning the basics of canine psychology. Since they are the closest companion of us so it is easy to understand them but sometimes their behaviour leaves a question mark on us that even we, close companion of him, do not able to understand him.
Often we humanize our dogs and expect them to understand our language and commands but we have to understand that they are just animals and they can’t communicate with us. We need to understand that they have different needs. They are unable to understand our commands first as their own psychology is quite different from us. Their brain is too small to understand human’s complex behaviour and actions, but they are great at seeing light and smell things from far.
If you are a pet owner you will notice that , if your dog wants to go for a daily walk, he will tell you by their actions such as jumping, playing with the ball, grab you outside etc.
Our dog needs certain things from which they can be satisfied and happy but if they don’t get it, they will react resultantly. For example, they chew your carpet even after teaching him not to chew household things, it can suggest that he is doing intentionally in order to communicate with yourself. He know that chewing carpet is not good and it suggests BAD BEHAVIOUR but it is the action from which you have to understand that why is he doing this. He may wants to attract your attention and that is why he shows bad behaviour so that you can spend some time with him.
But sometimes they are depressed and show it by their actions or behaviour. It is true that animals are less likely to be depressed but that doesn’t mean they don’t depressed at all. All you need to understand their behaviour as you are the closest companion of it and find solutions. Some of the top signs of depressions are –
1. NO INTEREST IN FOOD – Usually dogs loves to eat the food but if your dog don’t even show their interest in their favourite food then it might be a problem. It could be due to his medical condition so its better if you consult a doctor.
2. LACK OF INTEREST IN PLAY – If your dog is less active than normal then it might be because he is depressed although other diseases can be possible, consult to doctor is the best and only option in this case.
3. AGGRESSION TO OTHERS – It might show that he is mentally unstable. This doesn’t mean that he is in depression but he might do so because something is troubling him.
4. CHEWING “THINGS” – If your dog is chewing your carpet or any other household things, he might be distracting his mind from whatever bothering him.
CAUSES – There are several reasons that can cause depression in dogs. It can be dvided into two categories :-
1. PHYSICAL – Deficit of serotonin is one of the major cause of depression in this category. This is the medical reason that can depressed your dogs.
2. ENVIRONMENTAL – Many factors in the environment that can cause depression are given below :-
(a) Loss of a companion animal – The dog generally get easily attached by other animals usually dog companions but when that animal died, the dog left behind may get depressed.
(b) Moving into new house can also be the cause for depression as the dog once set for the routine, its difficult for him to adapt new changes. Moving into another house requires a lot of adjustment so the dog might get depressed until he accepted the new environment.
(c) A dog that is kept away from social gatherings can become depressed.
(d) When you couldn’t give much time to him, the dog needs your time, if he don’t get attention from you, he might get depressed or show bad behaviour.
If your dog is suffering from depression, the most possible cause is loneliness. Yes, he too feels alone. So first of all you have to spend some time with him. You can take him to some park for socialization. Socializing him with neighbour’s dog would be the better option or you can buy other canine for him too. In this way even if you left him alone at home, the other canine which you brought for him, would give him company.
The other reason for depression of dog could be chemical imbalance, at this time, you can consult dog specialist.
Dogs,too, can be sensitive sometimes and all you have to do is give your love to him. Treat them with your affection and care but don’t give up on them easily.