Our pets bring so much of love, support and companionship that it is completely natural to feel devastated by feelings of sadness abd grief when a pet dies. You might feel deadend with shock by the loss of your friend or simply feel like crying.
UNDERSTANDING PET LOSS :-
Pets are just not any dog or cat for a family. Its the most beloved member of the family, with whom you shares an unique and unbreakable bond. When they die, you feel a traumatic loss. Some people do not understand this pain and makes fun of you when you feel sad with this loss, but do not feel ashamed any of this as you are the one who shared the unique bond between your pet and you cared for him like your own child. Just like, the mother suffers a painful grief when her child dies, one cannot imagine how misery she feels after the loss of her child. You, too, are just like a mother to your pet, you feed him, care for him etc. So if your pet dies, do whatever you feel, you can cry too, believe me, it will definetly help. The more you will cry, the more you will feel better.
WHAT CAN YOU EXPECT TO FEEL?
Different people can feel grief in different ways. Its obvious that the owner will feel sorrow and sadness after the loss of his beloved companion. But besides this, what else can you expect? Here are the lists that you may feel or not after your pet dies :-
1. GUILT :- Many people may feel guilty with the death, they will always think “Only if I would be more careful”. You may not had enough money for treatment or an accident, these excuses are just rediculous. Feeling guilty and blaming yourself is not the right way to getting out of depression.
2. ANGER :- You may be angry towards the driver of the car who did the accident or the veterinary who failed to save your friend. Sometimes, this feeling may be justified but do not carried it to extreames, otherwise, it might distract you from the main thing in your life – Getting out of grief.
3. DENIAL :- Sometimes the owners who lost his pet, denies the fact that his pet is really gone. Owners are used to his pet, when he comes home, he know that his pet will welcome him warmly or he has to feed meal to his pet as his respobsibility. After the death of his pet, he might feel difficult to move on and forget everything. Sometimes, at this time the owner denies the fact the his pet is death, he might think that he is living somewhere else or lost. He will also find it difficult to bring other pet at home at this time.
HOW TO DEAL WITH THE LOSS OF YOUR PET?
Grief and sorrow are natural and normal responses to death. Grief for the pet companions can be dealt with time only. There are also other healthy ways to cope with the grief which are as follows :-
1. BE HONEST ABOUT FEELINGS :- This is the very first and most important step you should do after the loss of your pet. Be honest about your feelings, do not deny your feelings of anger or guilt. Someone you have loved, is gone now, so you have every right to feel grief. You can only move on if you, first, show your feelings and let it go. You must express your feelings like crying, screaming, break your table or talk about it to your friend, do whatever which helps in letting go the pain. Some people try not to think about his pet as they thinks that, remembering pet will cause more pain, they are wrong at this point, you should think about the beautiful memories as this might help you understand what your pet’s loss actually meant to you.
2. PLANT A TREE IN THE MEMORY OF YOUR PET :- This idea might be silly to you and you will be like “What it has to do with the loss of my pet ?” believe me it can be very helpful in order to let go off the pain. You can plant a tree in your garden where your pet has spent most of his time or you can also plant it on his grave. Try to buy a small plant that represents your pet.
3. GET ANOTHER PET :- You can bring other pet for you that may remove your loneliness. This is the best idea if you want to get out of grief. Try not to buy a pet which looks exactly same as your previous pet as it will keep make you remember the memories of that pet.
4. KEEP YOURSELF BUSY :- You can keep yourself busy in some other hobbies so that you don’t have to think about how your pet dies, you should distract your mind by doing other things which you like, such as dance, hanging out, watching tv etc.