At some time in life, everyone wishes to have a pet. Not just the children, but even an adult is no exception for it. All love having a pet. Some speak out loud about their dream, while for some it remains a secret wish. But just dreaming about having a pet and really having one are two different things. They are two poles apart. And the path across these poles is quiet a task.
For adults, the decision of getting a pet is quiet individual and independent. Still he/she has to take care of lot of other things associated with it. Like to get an appropriate pet that suits you and your family type. The decision of taking a pet is a crucial one. It is another living creatures’ responsibility that you are about to take. So it is always advisable to a new pet owner, to make a wise choice.
Though, for adults its an individual choice whether to have a pet or not have a pet. For children, it comes under a series of other people’s decisions. Most importantly their parents. They have this huge job of convincing their moms and dads about the seriousness of the issue. However they are hardly taken serious about. But that’s no surprise. For every parent their child will always remain an irresponsible and disaster-making chap. It is difficult to accept that their kids can take the responsibility of some other creature. Regardless the fact, that the creature can be a small insect. Their perception always like, ‘you yourself are a kid, how do you expect to handle someone else.’ Or sometimes , ‘I have to take care of you, and another entry in the family just adds up to the job.’ Indeed of all these things, you can’t really blame them. No one knows you better than your parents. They know you in and out. So when you’re saying that you are big enough to take the liability, they exactly know what you mean by it.
Well, but that cannot be the end of the story. You should not lose hope. Instead try to initiate hope about it among your parents. Here are some tips that can be used to convince your parents.
- RESEARCH PROPERLY: read all books and sites that can give you all possible information about the desired pet. Make sure you are well informed. Take help of your friends regarding the pet you wish to have. Ask suggestions from those people who already have the pet you are wishing to have. You can even take care of the pet when its owner is out for a vacation or something. Do your research properly. Look towards the important things like the level of responsibility you are ready to take. Like for example if it’s a dog it’s not going to be cake walk. It is something big. Be prepared instead of sorry. Do not forget your family conditions before jumping to a decision. Make sure that you check out all the legal requirements necessary to have a pet. Some animals are unauthorised to keep a pet. Like tortoises, some breeds.
- MOTIVATION IS THE KEY: Always remember, having a pet is not just responsibility but a total lifestyle change. You have to be with that pet for many years. So if you think you are not ready for it, just back when you still have time. Even convincing your parents may take a lot of patience and time. Because its not an easy decision to make. It is a life-long commitment. So do not lose hope and keep motivating yourself and your parents. That is your key to success.
- BEHAVE MATURELY: Do your chores regularly and on time. Complete your homework and other stuff. Behave like a mature person for some days in front of your parents. This only adds up you in their good books. It even sheds some good light on your case. Even start saving up your allowances from your pocket money. And even show an initiative in contributing for the pet. If you are a teenager a job can be the best option.
- APPROACHING TOWARDS PARENTS: it is very important to approach your parents in a calm and cool way. Don’t make it a hustle. Give it some time. Answer their queries if they have any. Be honest and genuine about their doubts. Try and look out for solutions towards their questions.
- PRESENT YOUR PET: make a presentation that is emphasizing the decision about the pet. Make your parents realise the seriousness of your choice. Highlight the most important points in the presentation. Make sure that they are understandable. Let it be convincing and simple.
- BE UPDATED: keep updating yourself about the choice you have made. Continue your research in the field. Even keep updating your parents about it so that they know you are still interested in taking the pet.