Congratulations! So you have finally decided to own a cat. It has been proved that the people with pets, are happier and healthier than those people who do not have pets. Also they helps in reducing stress and balancing blood pressure. Before adopting cat, do your homework to make sure, you are adopting the right cat for you. Perhaps buying a cat can be the most important decision in your life as cats are living creature unlike clothes, video games, electronic gadgets etc and you have to give full attention and care for the next 10 years.
There are so many cats and if you are confused between them then you are at the right place! Before bringing your new friend, ask some of the questions to yourself which are as follows :-
1. KITTEN OR ADULT:- Kittens are playful, cheerful, mischievous and energetic. A kitten makes the perfect pet who will grow out in your household. All the people loves kittens, even the people who do not like kittens will go ”Awwwwwwww” to your kittens, they are very cute creature however you will have to give a lot of time to them as they are messy and needs a proper training. If your family has any child then you have to keep them apart from the kittens as sometimes they can hurt them. On the other hand, adult cats are calmer, obedient and less vivacous. If your family has a child then cat is better option for you as they won’t hurt them. One of the disadvantage of adopting a mature cat is that they can have some behavioral problems like – not using litter box but not every pet is perfect.
Most of the people go for kittens as they looks adorable and can impress anyone by their charming looks, but don’t forget to consider an adult cat too.
2. SHORT – HAIRED OR LONG :- One of the factors that you should consider before bringing a new cat is whether you should buy long – haired cats or long – haired. If you were always fond of stuff animals then long – haired cats are best option for you but they are difficult to maintained and also allergies are one of the bigger issues in long – haired cats, whereas short – haired cats are easy to maintain, grooming is the most easy task in the short – haired cats as all you have is take a simple pet brush which will help in getting rid of shedding.
No matter whether your cat is short – haired or long, you have to spend money for professional products in grooming to keep their fur healthier.
3. PUREBRED OR MIXED BRED CATS :- The difference between purebred and mixed bred cats are that the ancestors of pure bred cats are the members of the same breed whereas in case of mixed breds, their parents or ancestors are different from each other. Pure bred cats are easy to predict, means you have a good chance of knowing their behavioural problems and physical aspects.
When you buy a mixed bred cat, you will get the benefit of two or more breeds of cats, once you recognize the ancestors of your cats, you can identify how will they look when they become an adult cat. Whether you are going to adopt pure bred or mixed bred cats, make full research on it and make sure which type of breed you want which can easily mixes with your life style.
4. MALE CAT OR FEMALES :- They both make great companions however there are very few differences between them. Male cats will more likely to wander at home or outside, fighting, more demanding whereas female cats are calmer however they can become pregnant at younger age and the expenses will be more.
5. IMPACT ON YOUR FAMILY :- If your family has a younger member then avoid bringing kittens as they can be rough to them and sometimes they hurt people so roughly that you will find yourself in the hospital after they attacked you.
6. IF YOU ALREADY HAVE PETS :- If you already have pets, you have to consider them too, cats and cats can become best friends and if you have a dog, it may be difficult to get them along but with proper training, they too can become best friends but some dogs have higher hunter abilities and they cannot resist to chase cats.
If you have a birds or fishes then you should keep your cat away from them as because of their instincts, they might hunt them.
Once you have asked yourself these questions , you are ready to bring a new friend in your home. Try to hain knowledge in these areas as much as you can by reading several cat – care books available on the internet or books. And also once you bring the cat in your house, spend time with them instead of ignoring if you want your cat to be healthier and happier.