The dog has been always called the man’s ”best friend”. These two have worked and lived together for many years. Dogs are just like people in a lot of way – they enjoy other’s company, they can actually communicate how they feel, and obviously they love to play so tell me dogs are like us or not? And this is the reason everyone wants to adopt a dog, you are here because you want to get a puppy for yourself, having puppy can be a lot of fun but caring form them can be a quite mess and it is a huge responsibility. You’ll have to look out for this pet for a really long time as you should always remember that pups grow into dogs and dogs can live up to fifteen years so do not try to run away from your responsibility by thinking that pups can take care of themselves, no its not right, he cannot take care of themselves, just like a child, have you ever seen a young child taking care of himself? There are few questions that you need to think upon before getting a puppy :-
1. MAKE SURE THAT YOUR HOME FITS THE PUP’S PERSONALITY :-
Before getting a dog or a pup, it is essential to know whether your home fits the dog’s personality. If you have enough space in the house then you can buy a pup which will grow into a big dog . If you have backyard then the puppies who will need to exercise can go there, as they have lots of energy, you can also train your puppy to pee in the backyard.
2. ARE THERE ALREADY OTHER PETS IN YOUR HOME? :-
If you have already other pets in your home then rethink about your decision as some pets cannot get along peacefully, you can actually train him to live together which is quite a process. If you have a cat and then there is a separate article for bringing them together on our website. It is very difficult to have more than one pet in your home but not impossible so good luck !
3. DO YOU HAVE ENOUGH TIME TO SPEND WITH PUP :-
Now, caring for a pup takes a lot of time, you will need to train him, feed him, exercise and most importantly love him. do you really have this much time to spend with? If not, then i recommend you not to buy a puppy.
4. CHOOSE THE RIGHT TYPE OF PUPPY :-
- Female or male? Female pups may be home – loving while males could be more aggressive and lively.
- Small or big? The lightest and smallest breed of the dog is chihuahua which measures about 12 cm (5 inches) and weighs between three to six pounds. Big dogs like St. Bernard and Great Dane are gentle and calm while the breeds like Jack Russel terrier are smaller but more energetic.
- Mix bred or purebred? Sometimes, purebred dogs are quite expensive than mixed but they’re easier to guess that how big they will grow but there are more chances for them to suffer from inherited diseases than mixed breed dogs. Mixed breeds of dog are usually strong and healthy and they come in a wide range of different types of dog, colors and sizes.
5. KNOW WHAT TO DO WHILE CHOOSING A PUP :-
While you’re still making a choice whether you’re at pet rescue center or local breeder’s place,you’ve to know the information given below :-
- If you are buying a dog of mixed bred then ask about the pup’s parents as much as you can. In this way, you’ll have a good idea of what it’ll be like when your pup grows up.
- Try to buy a puppy who is used to being handled from his birth as he will be more likely to be friendly when he grows up.
- Play with all of the puppies and then look for one who walks up to you, licks your hand and wags their tail. Be cautious of a puppy who tries to bite or shy.
- If you’re buying a purebred dog then try to talk to breeders as they can tell you the personalities of every pups, they spends a lot of time with them and can tell you everything about pups whatever you need to know.
- Do not take home your puppy if he is under eight weeks old, as they need some time and learn from their mother at this time. /check the pup
6. NEUTER/SPAY IT BEFORE ITS SIX MONTHS OLD :-
It will be better if you take your pup to the vet and have it treated so that it cannot breed. This operation can make the distinctions between female and male personalities disappear so in the end, whether your pup is female or male, might not make any difference in the terms of behavior. What you will need to think about is puppy’s personality. Before picking up a pup, watch him closely to check if he is affectionate, lazy, energetic, aggressive or calm.