Fish is one of the few creatures on earth, which has a number of species. It comes in different colours, shapes and sizes. You name it and you get it. Once you start talking about aquaculture seriously, you realise there so much to it than just fish. It is wide area of study. But for now let’s stick to fishes.
Fishes can be really interesting pets, if you are up to it. But you should not assume easy pets for interesting pets. Irrespective of their small size they can really be a not so easy pet. Belonging to total different survival environment, it becomes difficult for the keeper to understand its traits. It is hard to tell why the fish is not eating? Or why is it so dull? Or when does it sleep? Or even whether he needs friends in or is comfortable with the solitude? The more new you are in the business the more lost you can get. But no need to worry. When god decides to give us riddles, he makes sure there are clues left for them to be solved. So, if you are new fish owner, there are certain suggestions you might like to take a look at.
- COLD WATER VS TROPICAL FISH: buying a fish as a pet is not as simple as shopping online. You go on the site, select the item, choose the colour, and make the payment and boom, done. No, that’s not the way. There are things that need to be looked at before choosing a fish. Cold water fishes like the goldfish are more hardcore. They can resist few early mistakes by you. But there are even many tropical fishes like the angelfish or corydoras or catfish that can be excellent pets with a little more care. Prefer the inexpensive fishes. It is not save your money, but they are a calk walk to pet. They are inexpensive because they manage to survive in their natural environment properly without any extra care.
- MAKE THE DECISION: Here comes the most important part of petting a fish. You need to decide how many fishes you are going to pet and what kind they will be. There are studies that say it is good to keep the same breeds together, so that can live in harmony. This is not totally true. Well, in some cases it might be, but in some cases the story might be completely different. So be wise while making the choice. Even remember that different fishes need different type of care. So if you are opting for two diverse species of fishes, make sure you are briefed with the necessary information.
- THE TANK SIZE MATTERS! – Always remember, the bigger the better. The fish will not be affected by a big tank than his size, rather than a compact one. And keep in mind to increase the size of the tank with every new member in the family. Will you like to share your space in the house with someone else? No, right! Same is the case with fishes. They like having enough place to call as their territory.
- BE WELL – EQUIPED: You might have heard the saying ‘prevention is better than cure.’ In this case, your only option is prevention. Because you are often left with the cure option. Fish being a very fragile animal, dies with inappropriate care. So unlike other pets, where you can consult a vet for regular updates on your pet, fishes just die. Hence, it is always better to be well equipped. Make sure you have proper filter system, heaters, test kits, water conditioners, etc.
- THE WATER CARE: Once your fish is in the tank, your real job starts as a keeper. The most important role one plays in the fish survival is the water. Like oxygen is for humans, water is for fishes. So it is necessary to keep it clean and hygienic. One must test the water regularly. It should not have any ammonia or nitrite content. It must be changed at regular interval of times.
- FEEDING PATTERNS: Feeding patterns differs with the fish type. Each has its own eating type. And the owner must not compromise it. Not only the kind of food it eats is the issue, but also the number of times it is fed that should be a concern. Make sure the fish is enough fed. What is the food of your pet?
- HUMAN INTERACTION: The only role we should play as the owner while petting a fish is monitoring them. Be alert. Observe if there is any change in their eating styles, or moods. You should even observe if the fish has all its parts in place and there is no mood change. Unlike other pets, where one can expect to hold the pet, touch it, play with it; is not applicable in this case. You are supposed to be a caretaker and not just an owner.
So these were some protips if you are interested n doing something fishy. Just kidding! Jokes apart, facts have proved that having a pet fish in house is really good for blood circulations and blood pressure people. Just observing them can keep it in control. So why just get amazed by the facts, instead go get one for yourself.