Dogs love getting dirty and they won’t even mind to smell stinky, on the other hand, pet owners will like to them smell good.
Bathing plays an important role in the life of dogs but they feel rarely excited jump into the bath tub. You can either clean him up by the help of veterinary or you, too, can wash him easily. First I will tell you why bathing dog is beneficial for him. Washing him is good for his healthy skin and shiner fur. Regularly cleansing process with proper arrangement is the key of a good – looking dog. They may develop diseases or infection because of poor hygenie and can also transmitted to humans.
Also, bathing time may helps to create a unique bond between you and your dog by spending time.
HOW OFTEN SHOULD YOU WASH YOUR DOG?
Dogs don’t really need daily bathing like us, but they do need bathing regularly. But regular bathing also depends on several factors.
♦ Dogs with oily coat needs bathing once in a week.
♦ Many short – haired breeds lik Beagles and basenjis don’t need regular bathing as they are very meticulous in their personal hygeine.
♦ Dogs with thick coats do best with fewer baths
Most of the dogs should bath once a week. However if we wash him more than often then it can dry out his skin.
But if he loves to get into dirt and mud then you may have to bathe him more than often.
You must do some preparation before bathing your dog as proper preparation can make the whole process easier for you. Also by knowing the proper technique of bathing dog makes it easier for you.
1. CHOOSE A LOCATION :- The first step which you will have to do is to choose a proper place where you wants to wash him. You must remember that bathing dog can make the place muddy and sloppy. Be prepare to clean the hairy and wet bathroom if you are going to use bath tub. Bathing him outside will probably the better idea.
2. ASSOCIATE BATHE WITH GOOD THINGS :- Most of the dogs find bathing time abhorrent so you must do something so that they start enjoying this time. You can always do things which your dog love the most before bathing like treats, his favourite chew toys, a walk in the park etc. Soon he will feel better about it. And if he feels good, he will behave better during bathing time. You can give him some tasty treats right after getting him into the bath tub. If he feels nervous during the time, you can play some games with him. Soon, he will realize that bathing is fun and you need not to worry everytime you decided to wash him.
3. BEFORE BATHE :- You should gather the all the items you need during washing the dog – towel, shampoo, sponge but put it close to you but not in the way that it can be kicked and splashed by your dog. You should trim your dog’s nails before bathe as he can be frightened and use their claws in order to run away from the tub. Choosing a good shampoo can also be difficult for you. You can ask from vet which shampoo you should use, read directions before using it. Never use human shampoo to dog as it is not right for dog’s skin and fur.
4. DURING BATHE :- First try to get him used to the water, you can spray water on his shoulder and back. You should not hurt him during bathing as it will increase the resistance to being bathed next time and you might face more difficulties in the future. After he relaxes, wash his head. Lather up his body with shampoo, you can use the sponge or washcloth to remove the water around the nose, mouth or eyes.
You can also use the brush in order to work shampoo on the coat of dog if he has shorter hair. If he has longer haur, then in order to avoid tangles, massage his coat in the direction of hair growth. Rinse the dog with slightly – heated water after the lathering.
AFTER BATHE :- After bathe, use your hands to squeeze the excess water from the body. Then wrap him up in a towel and rub him dry, gently. If he has longer fur then you can use blow dryer.
1. The water should be lukewarm, not too hot, as hot water may dry out his skin and also he may feels itchy after the bathe.
2. If you wants to use dryer, you can buy pet dryer but never use your dryer on high temperature as it may burn out his skin.
3. Do not let the water to get into his ears or eyes. To prevent this, you can put the cotton balls in his eyes and when you pour water on his head, close his eyes by your one hand.