Neutering and spaying your lovable is an important part of responsible pet ownership. Male dogs which have not been neutered yet, can experience frustration and really can lead to aggression whereas female dogs which have been not spayed yet, will attract male dogs for every six months so from a biological and psychological point of view, spaying/neutering is the best thing to do. But the misconceptions about it stops people to do this procedure. Here i am going to tell you top 7 myths about spaying/neutering your pet.
1. A DOG WILL FEEL LIKE LESS OF A ”MAN” OR ”WOMAN” AFTER BEING STERILIZED :-
This myth is absolutely not true, as human is imposing their own feeling on them, people is thinking from their point of view – What will WE feel like if we get sterilized? But do not forget that animals are not humans and they do not think like us. By spaying/neutering your pet, he will have one less need to fulfill. Neutered dogs will have less desire of roam, exert dominance over the pack and mark territory, isn’t that great? You will actually have a well – behaved pet. Spayed dogs won’t have to experience hormonal changes during the time of heat cycles which can turn your pet into a ” crying baby” type of dog. Sterilized dogs are more lovable and affectionate and less likely to run away, bite, or become aggressive.
2. SPAYING AND NEUTERING WILL CAUSE WEIGHT gain:-
Dogs don’t get fat by just being sterilized. They, too, gain weight if they exercise too little and eat too much food, just like humans. They can gain weight also if they’re genetically programmed to be fatty. Even if you see any dog who gained weight after being sterilized then the reason of it is, to continue to feed high energy diet to them.
3. SPAYING AND NEUTERING IS EXPENSIVE :-
This is not true at all, as now a days there are enough low cost neutering and spaying programs. Even if these type of programs aren’t available in your country or city then the money and emotional stress spent on this treatments, you will actually make an investment which will be worth every penny. Spaying/neutering reduces the risk of number of health problems which will be expensive and difficult to treat. It will eliminate the chances of developing ovarian or uterine cancer and will also reduce the chances of having breast cancer, in female dogs, whereas in male dogs, there will be a less chance of developing prostate cancer. If you have decided to sterilize your pet, then you pet will definitely live a longer and healthier life.
4. THE PROCEDURE OF SPAYING AND NEUTERING IS PAINFUL AND CAN HARM YOUR PET :-
During the surgery of spaying and neutering, cats and and dogs are fully anesthetized so, obviously they won’t feel any pain. After surgery, your pet might experience some discomfort but do not worry as this sign of discomfort will disappear in just few days and pain might not be experienced at all, with pain management medication. Your pet will not get any serious harm as this is very rare.
5. FEMALE DOGS SHOULD HAVE AT LEAST ONE LITTER TO BE HAPPY AND HEALTHY :-
Well, earlier veterinarians believed that an animal should definitely produce at least one litter in order to ”mature her” but this is not believed to be true now. In fact, it is healthier for dogs if they will be spayed before their first heat cycle ( six months for dogs and four months for cats ). Many diseases like mammary tumors has less chances of developing in in animals who have been spayed earlier.
6. DOGS WILL MOURN THE LOSS OF THEIR REPRODUCTIVE CAPABILITIES :-
Even this myth is not true at all, they reproduce solely in order to ensure their species’ survival. They will not raise a puppy for eighteen years like us. They don’t even dream of the wedding of puppy, they don’t hope for their grand children’s comfort in their old age. You need to understand that female dogs nurse their puppies for a few weeks and teach them the rules of puppies, limitations and boundaries and then send them off to join the pack whereas male dogs do not consider them to be as ”fathers” like humans do, they don’t even recognize their puppies as their own.
7. THIS IS NOT YOUR PROBLEM IF YOU DO NOT OWN A PET :
– All of the people are affected by homeless pets. Millions of tax dollars are often annually spent on lost, unwanted and abandoned pets. Much of these money are spent to kill the animals when they cannot find home for them. Health is also threatened by the danger of many transmittable diseases like animal bites and attacks, rabies. When pets roam in search of food then property might be damaged and livestock may get killed. If we assume the responsibility towards homeless pets then only, we can see decrease in this problem.