You have heard or read million of things about dogs from your friends, neighbours or on the internet. All these myths can take you in the wrong direction so here I am telling you top 10 myths about dogs which you should NEVER believe.
1. A WAGGING TAIL MEANS A HAPPY DOG :-
This common misconception could lead someone to an unfortunate bite. This is just one of the ways of dogs’ communication. It is true that the wagging of tails is associated to a happy dog but sometimes it also indicates other things like aggression or fear. If your dog is wagging his tail and his rest if the body seems to be relaxed then you need not to be worry as you are dealing with a happy dog. While on the other hand, if he is holding his body rigid or erect then most probably you are dealing with a territorial dog.
2. DOGS SHOULD HAVE ONE LITTER BEFORE SPAYED :-
There is absolutely no truth in it, dogs that have already one litter before spayed are having more risks of breast cancer and uterine infections. People thinks that if a dog will not have a litter, they will feel something is missing out in their life and can become depressed too but let me tell you one thing that dogs are not like us, they don’t think like us and they will not feel lonely just because they do not have babies. In reality, this will lead to over pet – population which is already the most common problem in the world.
3. DOGS ARE SICK IF THEIR NOSES ARE WARM :-
This is probably one of the biggest myth I have ever heard, some people says that if a dog’s nose is wet or cold then it means it is a healthy dog while the dogs who has a warm nose, indicates that he is sick. The temperature of the nose of dog does not indicate any illness of dogs however if he has a crusted or persistently dry nose, then it might be a sign of health problem.
4. YOU CANNOT TEACH AN OLD DOG NEW TRICKS :-
This, too, is not true. Some people don’t prefer to buy an old dog because they thinks that they cannot teach an old dog new tricks. We all know that people can learn in any age however it depends on their mood instead of age. Plus, energy is less likely to be in an older dog so it may be difficult to teach him tricks but its not impossible, it can be done by proper training. All you have to do is give him attention and he can learn anything you want him to.
5. THEY ENJOY BEING HUGGED AND CUDDLED :-
Human beings might love to being hugged or cuddled but dogs aren’t like us and they DON’T like it at all. They may confuse your hug with the aggression.
6. DOGS LEARN ONLY IF YOU PUNISH THEM :-
No, this is absolutely not true. Punishing him, will only make his behaviour worse. This can also create fear or aggression in them. So you need to find an alternative way but punishment should not be the option.
7. IF YOUR DOG IS SICK, THEY WILL LET YOU KNOW :-
Generally, dogs are are very great in hiding about their sickness. So you have to alert and monitor them carefully if they are sick or developing any disease so that you can take him to vet care where he will be treated well.
8. A DOG’S MOUTH IS CLEANER THAN A HUMAN’S MOUTH :-
Did you not see what your dog eats like eating the poop? However, it is true that most of the dog’s mouth are harmless and dog – specific but it does not include where your dog’s mouth might have been. All kinds of undigestable things which you’d never eat by yourself can make their way on your face by the dog’s licking mouth.
9. WHEN DOGS ARE ANGRY, THEY DESTROY FURNITURES AND OTHER ITEMS IN THE HOUSE :-
There may be many reasons if they destroy things in your house which may include physical or emotional problem but anger has nothing to do in it.
10. DOGS SEE IN BLACK AND WHITE :- Many people thinks that dogs could only see in black and white. They CAN see color but not like we humans do.
11. TUG OF WAR SHOULD BE AVOIDED :- This is one of the biggest misconception in people, some people thinks that playing tug of war can make your dog an aggressive monster but it is not true, infact, you can teach him to release toy on command by playing tug of war, so ultimately, it will help in your dog’s training.
12. DOGS LIKE TASTY FOOD :- Dogs have very poor taste buds and they eat on the basis of the smell of the food. So yes, even this myth is not true.